Southwest Tasti Taters Mac & Cheese
The Tabasco sauce and Dijon mustard give this creamy, cheesy McCain Tasti Tater casserole a little kick.
Chef's Name: Emma Blair
Cheese Sauce Ingredients
2 Cups Grated Old Cheddar
1 Cup Milk
1 Tbsp. Cream Cheese
2 Tbsp. Butter
2 Tbsp. Flour
1 Tsp. Dijon Mustard
2 Tbsp. Tabasco Hot Sauce
2 Cloves Garlic (minced)
1 ½ Tbsp. Cumin
1 Cup Elbow Macaroni
1 Package (800g) McCain Tasti Taters Cheesy Cheddar
- Cook McCain Tasti Taters Cheesy Cheddar according to instructions. Once cooked remove from oven and set aside for later.
- Begin cheese sauce by making a roux- melt 2 tbsp. of butter in a medium size pot over medium/high heat.
- When butter is completely melted, add 2 tbsp. of flour and stir until incorporated. Cook this mixture for 2 minutes.
- To your flour and butter mixture, incorporate 1 tsp. of Dijon mustard and 1 cup of milk. Stir constantly and bring to a boil.
- When sauce comes to a boil, add 1 tbsp. of cream cheese and 1.5 cups of grated cheddar (reserving ½ cup for later). Reduce to a simmer once cheeses are completely incorporated.
- While simmering, stir in 2 tbsp. of Tabasco hot sauce and 1 ½ tbsp. of cumin to sauce.
- Season to preference with salt and pepper to finish sauce.
- Keep cheese sauce on low heat, and cook 1 cup of Elbow macaroni according to package instructions.
- When macaroni is cooked, strain with a colander and place into a medium sized (2Quart/ 2L) casserole dish. Pour cheese sauce mixture over top of macaroni, mix to distribute evenly.
- Distribute McCain Tasti Taters Cheesy Cheddar evenly across the surface of your Mac and Cheese. Sprinkle extra grated cheese on top, if desired.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350 F/ 180 C or until warm all the way through.