Staying home for Canada Day this year? Fabulous! That means you’ll have the opportunity to plan one heck of a celebratory BBQ. We love back yard parties here at McCain, and we’ve put together some of our favourite ideas to help make your Canada Day fete an evening to remember.
Whether you’re grilling up steak, burgers, fish or veggie dogs, we’ve got fun serving and décor ideas to jazz up your party. Plus side dishes and desserts that will suit any menu. Don’t forget the sparklers!
1. French Fry #Modifry Station– Bake, toss and serve up your McCain® Superfries® with a variety of our #Modifry recipes. Check them out here. Let your taste buds be your guide, because the possibilities are endless.
2. Lime-grilled Corn on the Cob – Add add some zing to your corn on the cob (a BBQ staple). Mix together lime juice, butter, salt, pepper and a bit of chili powder and coat cobs with the mixture before grilling. Mmmm.
3. Homemade Bubbles – Kids love making bubbles in the backyard. Keep ‘em popping with these homemade bubble recipes. Put the mixture in a container with a spigot, set out cups and bubble wands and listen for the giggles.
4. Individual Crudités With Dips – Fill the bottom of cups or glasses with a layer of your dip of choice and then stand up a handful of carrot sticks, celery, cucumber or savoury breadsticks. No more fighting to get to the dip!
5. Crafting station – Start a little crafting station for the kiddies to keep busy! Have them cut up confetti and finger paint their own Canadian flags so they can wave and throw around during the fireworks. If you don't mind a bit of noise pick up some music makers for everyone to enjoy!
6. Juice up your ice cubes – Instead of plain old water, add some pink grapefruit or raspberry juice to your ice cube tray. When you combine with water, juice or soft drinks, voila! Instand punch. Another great idea is to freeze a slice of lemon on the top of ice cubes. Looks nice and adds a little zest to your drink.
7. Cool Candles – Hollow out apples to make unique candle-holders. Or add sand to mason jars for a casual, sturdy and beachy effect. Another pretty idea for mason jars is to fill them with flowers, then submerge the flowers in water. Add a floating candle on top. This also works well with cherries, berries or pebbles.
8. Watermelon Punch Bowl – Find a watermelon that will sit on a table without wobbling and hollow it out. (Be sure to save the insides for dessert.) Get a spigot and pop it into the bottom of the watermelon to create a fresh and fabulous punch bowl.
9. Deep ‘n Delicious Dessert – Looking for a unique dessert to top off your meal? To really bring the house down, make decadent Mississippi Mud – it’s easy! Put a layer of chocolate pudding at the bottom of a parfait or lowball glass. Add a slice of vanilla or chocolate Deep n Delicious Cake, then add another pudding layer and top with whipped cream. Serve with spoons and just wait for the “oohs” and “aahs.”
10. Don’t forget the sparklers! – Happy Canada Day from The All Good Blog Team!